Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hydra Haubert

Hydra Haubert

First, this is NOT a bash Kain thread, i like kain, but last Dyanamis's Hydra drop caused a bit of drama. Typically I just laugh a bit and dont worry when items dont go to the best job, but for some reason this one has annoyed me for a bit.

Hydra Haubert is one of, if not the rarest armor in the game, and arguably the best for pld. It is equipable for pld,drk, and war. Of these three jobs, war gets -NO- use out of it since they already have huge emnity body peices. Drk could use it for TA hate i guess, but pld by far makes the most use of it. A war lotting this body peice does nothing for himself or the LS other then screw a pld out of the best armor out there and cause drama in the LS.

Now kain did nothing to break Dbums rules, and while i disagree with him lotting it, i hold no harsh feeling toward him. The only reason i am posting is to ask that the Hydra Haubert PLEASE be made pld only lot. I know Dbums doesnt do "job priority" on rare things like shadow mantle and such because we dont want attendance to go down, but i think there has to be a line somewhere and i do not beleive it is at all unfair to reward the plds in our LS with the best pld armor, rather then give another war a glorified epeen.

Congrats to kain, but can we please make this change?
    PLD/BRD/NIN/SMN/MNK/THF. 100 Cloth.

I'll discuss this with the leadership to weigh the pros and cons, but my initial inclination is "no." If such a condition is implemented on this Hydra piece, expect similar restrictions for other pieces to be devised as well.

I am already considering a limit on the number of Hydra pieces that can be received, similar to the way Shadow Items currently work, due to their rarity.

We actually do favor PLDs in the decision making for the Shadow Mantle, where there are two designated lotting slots for PLD mains only. The fact that there is not "job priority" has nothing to do at all with attendance, otherwise we would not raise the eligibility requirements for lotting.

(server seems to be choking when I try to edit)

Other members are welcome to voice their opinions on the matter here for consideration (regarding Hydra Haubert specifically or other Hydra pieces, NOT about its distribution last night).
    Last edited by Teorem; 12-14-2006 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teorem View Post
    I'll discuss this with the leadership to weigh the pros and cons, but my initial inclination is "no." If such a condition is implemented on this Hydra piece, expect similar restrictions for other pieces to be devised as well.

I am already considering a limit on the number of Hydra pieces that can be received, similar to the way Shadow Items currently work, due to their rarity.

We actually do favor PLDs in the decision making for the Shadow Mantle, where there are two designated lotting slots for PLD mains only.

Well.

The shadow mantle rule was a step in the right direction i beleive, but still gives room to the possibility that the plds in the LS never get the mantle if they suck at lotting lol. But that is another discussion.

My reason for posting was stating that the Haubert crosses the line of "job usefullness" to just plain silly for others to lot. Perhaps a LS vote. Perhaps leadership saying 'no', idc. But is there no line between sanity and total ambiguity?

I know Dbums rules work to encourage attendance, so items such as Shadow mantle and such can be lotted by even a taru summoner, but in the case of the Haubert, the war actually have a body peice that does THE EXACT same thing. Its not just "usefullness", its plain waste, it almost as if we had let it fall to no one at all. If summoners had a smn only back peice that occasionally annuled physical damage, would we still want them to lot over plds on shadow mantle? The answer is obviously no, but then why would we want wars to lot over plds on Hydra Haubert when they already have a huge emnity body peice?

I think as long as members are dedicated to the ls it doesn't matter what item they get as long as they can equip it. Sure they can be courteous but in the long run if I rather see items go to people that are dedicated and work hard for the ls rather than it go to someone who comes occasionally and couldn't give a rat's ass if we win the zone for people or w/e.

I rather people who love DB get cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmisse View Post
    I think as long as members are dedicated to the ls it doesn't matter what item they get as long as they can equip it. Sure they can be courteous but in the long run if I rather see items go to people that are dedicated and work hard for the ls rather than it go to someone who comes occasionally and couldn't give a rat's ass if we win the zone for people or w/e.

I rather people who love DB get cool stuff.
    Couldnt agree more carmisse. But cant you do both? Reward attendance/loyalty AND show a bit of discresion? Again, im not saying this as a broad sweeping statement to all items, just pointing out that the Haubert is special in the sense that war already has an emnity body and thus gets -no- use out of it.

war gets -NO- use out of it since they already have huge emnity body peices.
    You haven't tanked on war, have you? I'll assume not since you don't have 74+ war. Same with NIN tanking(depends on the situation, of course), keeping hate involves doing dmg. +8 enmity on AF body doosn't do much when it's only helping once every 30 seconds when provoke is up. Hydra Haubert has +9 enmity and (more importantly) 10 accuracy. Same 10 accuracy from hauberk. So if I'm tanking in Limbus, or like I did today with Genbu, I would meele in it all the time. Sacraficing 10 attack for 9 enmity is a no brainner if you are tanking. I've actually put it to some good use today. The last 30 minutes of a merit party today, our PLD had to go. So I had to solo tank. Yup, I wore Hydra Haubert. And about an hour ago I used it for tanking Genbu. So as much as you think it's best for PLD, you may be right. That doesn't, however, make it useless for a non--dd only war. I enjoy war tanking. I'm not in an HNM LS, so I don't fight really hard mobs where AF body would be better. So, I will be getting good use of this armor if you realize it or not.

If anything, I think getting the war legs -1 kinda caused problems. If I would have known I would be getting the hauby, I wouldn't have lotted. (or if I got the hydra hauby first). But unfortunately no one knew that was going to happen.
    Last edited by KainHighwind; 12-14-2006 at 10:08 PM.
    Kainhighwind: 75 DRG, PLD & WAR

Quote Originally Posted by KainHighwind View Post
    You haven't tanked on war, have you? I'll assume not since you don't have 74+ war. Same with NIN tanking(depends on the situation, of course), keeping hate involves doing dmg. +8 enmity on AF body doosn't do much when it's only helping once every 30 seconds when provoke is up. Hydra Haubert has +9 enmity and (more importantly) 10 accuracy. Same 10 accuracy from hauberk. So if I'm tanking in Limbus, or like I did today with Genbu, I would meele in it all the time. Sacraficing 10 attack for 9 enmity is a no brainner if you are tanking. I've actually put it to some good use today. The last 30 minutes of a merit party today, our PLD had to go. So I had to solo tank. Yup, I wore Hydra Haubert. And about an hour ago I used it for tanking Genbu. So as much as you think it's best for PLD, you may be right. That doesn't, however, make it useless for a non--dd only war. I enjoy war tanking. I'm not in an HNM LS, so I don't fight really hard mobs where AF body would be better. So, I will be getting good use of this armor if you realize it or not.

If anything, I think getting the war legs -1 kinda caused problems. If I would have known I would be getting the hauby, I wouldn't have lotted. (or if I got the hydra hauby first). But unfortunately no one knew that was going to happen.

Im not going to get in a debate of using it for war tank. If your on HNM, you wont be doing damage as war tank. If you are in meripo, you shouldnt have a problem keeping hate with rampage and voke.

Anyways, ive said my peice, grats again kain on your new fighters lorica +1.

There's really nothing good that can come of this kind of publicly calling out someone for lotting something. Next time it would be far better to address your concerns in a private message. Perhaps a forum section like our BC site has where members can bring up issues they feel need addressing with leadership in a forum site that only the member who posted and leadership can read is in order. On the subject of the haubert itself, I really don't see a reason why Kain shouldn't have been allowed to lot it if he reallistically planned to use it which he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    There's really nothing good that can come of this kind of publicly calling out someone for lotting something. Next time it would be far better to address your concerns in a private message. Perhaps a forum section like our BC site has where members can bring up issues they feel need addressing with leadership in a forum site that only the member who posted and leadership can read is in order. On the subject of the haubert itself, I really don't see a reason why Kain shouldn't have been allowed to lot it if he reallistically planned to use it which he has.

As i said, this wasnt a bash kain post, i posted in the public forums to get people's opinions from the shell on a suggestion i had about one peice of equipment. If many people dont like it, then that is their own right, the open forum discussion was just addressing something that needed to be addressed. Im not a big fan of clandestine attacks on people, or just building up tensions, so debating things publically can cull some annoyances w/o hurting friendships.
    Last edited by Neosutra; 12-14-2006 at 10:35 PM.

Can we impose a limit on all item lotting for all races except Tarutaru? I want more stuff.